Clerk Of Courts
directions & maps
common pleas local rules
court of appeals local rules
family court local rules
typical title trans.
probate title transactions
Trumbull County Search
Warren Municipal Search
WATERCRAFT TITLE INFORMATION
BUYING A BOAT OR MOTOR
- A Certificate of Title is required on all boats 14 feet long or greater and all outboard motors 10 H.P. or greater.
- A canoe or kayak is not Titled.
- Before purchasing a boat or motor be sure the seller has the Certificate of Title.
- The seller is also required to assign the Ohio Watercraft Registration card to you.
- No registration is
required for outboard motors.
TRANSFER OF TITLE
- Your titles will be issued to you by the Clerk of Courts in the County of your residence regardless of the location of the boat.
SELLING A BOAT OF MOTOR
- Do not accept a Title from the seller until he has his signature notarized and your name is shown as the buyer.
- Do not execute the assignment on the reverse side of the Certificate of Title until a bonafide sale has been made.
Make certain that the buyer’s full name and address is inserted before you sign the assignment. Initials are not acceptable.
- You must have your signature notarized.
- If you do not have a Title for your boat or motor and have owned the boat or motor prior to October 10, 1963, your Clerk of Courts may issue a Title
to you based on your registration or sworn statement.
HULL IDENTIFICATION NUMBER
- Federal Boating Acts require all boats manufactured after November 1972, to show a Hull Identification Number (serial number) of not less than 12
- If you have a 1973 or newer model boat, compare the Hull Identification Number with the number on your Title. If they
differ, make a pencil tracing of the number and present tracing and Title to your Clerk of Courts Auto Title Department for Title correction.
- If there is no manufacturer’s serial number, or if the manufacturer’s serial number has been removed, a serial number must be affixed to the
boat or motor before a Certificate of Title can be issued.
- Application for a serial number is made to the Division of Watercraft. Forms may be obtained at your
County Clerk’s Auto Title Department.
- Documented vessels are not titled in Ohio, but are registered by the U.S. Coast Guard. To remove a boat
from Documentation for titling purposes, contact the Title Department.
PERSONAL WATERCRAFT (Jet Skis, Wave Runners, Jet Boats)
- Watercraft less than 14 feet with a permanently affixed motor of 10 HP or more will require a Title effective January 1, 2000.
- If the watercraft was owned prior to January 1, 2000, no Title is required until it is sold, a lien recorded, or otherwise disposed.
- Contact the Title Department for additional information.